Archives for posts with tag: Geography

Time in China follows a single standard time of UTC+08:00, which is 8 hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time. China geographically spans five time zones and there were five time zones in use during the Republic of China (1912–1949). Since 1949 all of China has only had a single standard time, but UTC+06:00 is also used unofficially in Xinjiang and Tibet.

Advertisements

Image

There is a statue of the Fab 4 on the mountain Kök Töbe (translation: Green Hill) outside of Almaty, Kazakhstan. 

ImageThe Wieliczka Salt Mine (Polish: Kopalnia soli Wieliczka), located in the town of Wieliczka in southern Poland, lies within the Krakówmetropolitan area. The mine, built in the 13th century, produced table salt continuously until 2007, as one of the world’s oldest salt mines still in operation. From its beginning and throughout its existence, the Royal mine was run by the Żupy krakowskie Salt Mines. Commercial mining was discontinued in 1996 due to low salt prices and mine flooding.

The mine’s attractions include dozens of statues, three chapels and an entire cathedral that has been carved out of the rock salt by the miners. The oldest sculptures are augmented by the new carvings by contemporary artists. About 1.2 million people visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine annually and you can visit it virtually HERE

Winston’s Hiccup or Churchill’s Sneeze is the huge zigzag in Jordan’s eastern border with Saudi Arabia, supposedly because Winston Churchill drew the boundary of Transjordan after a generous and lengthy lunch.

Image

 

The Empire of Atlantium is a micronation and secular, pluralist progressive lobby group based in New South Wales, Australia.

Among the causes Atlantium supports are the right to unrestricted international freedom of movement, the right to abortion, the right to assisted suicide and decimal calendar reform.

Image

http://www.atlantium.org

Image

 

Standin’ on the Corner Park in Winslow, Arizona is a publicly operated park, commemorating the Eagles-Jackson Browne song “Take It Easy”. The park contains a two-story trompe-l’œil mural by John Pugh, and a life-size bronze statue of a man standing on a corner, with a guitar. The park is surrounded a wall of bricks, each with a donor’s name on it, and a story by each of the donors describing their fondness for Winslow. The park was opened in 1999. 

Home

Image

Pig Beach (also known as Pig IslandMajor Cay, and officially Big Major Cay) is an uninhabited island (or cay) located in Exuma, the Bahamas, and known for being populated by many swimming pigs. 

The pigs are said to have been dropped off on Big Major Cay by a group of sailors who wanted to come back and cook them. The sailors, though, never returned; the pigs survived on excess food dumped from passing ships. One other legend has it that the pigs were survivors of a shipwreck and managed to swim to shore while another claims that the pigs had escaped from a nearby islet. Others suggest that the pigs were part of a business scheme to attract tourists to the Bahamas. The pigs are now fed by locals and tourists and the island is unofficially known as Pig Beach by the locals.

Image

The Osborne bull (in SpanishToro de Osborne) is a 14-metre-high black silhouetted image of a bull in semi-profile, and is regarded as the unofficial national symbol of Spain. The bull was created in 1956 by Manolo Prieto. Nowadays the conservation of the bulls is handled by the family of Félix Tejada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_bull

The Ikh Khorig, or Great Taboo, is a 240 km² area in the Khentii Aimag (province) of Mongolia, believed by some to be the location of Genghis Khan’s grave. It has been carefully guarded for most of its history, and it is only since the late 1980s that the area has been open to archaeologists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikh_Khorig

Image

The Harry S Truman Little White House in Key West, Florida was the winter White House for PresidentHarry S Truman for 175 days during 11 visits. The house is located in the Truman Annex neighborhood ofOld Town, Key West.

The house was originally waterfront when it was built in 1890 as the first officer’s quarters on thesubmarine base naval station. The wooden duplex contained Quarters A for the base commandant and Quarters B for the paymaster.

In 1911 the home was converted into a single-family dwelling to house the base commandant and additional land was filled in front of the house. The waterfront view was eventually blocked by a new building at the station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_S._Truman_Little_White_House